DONNA SUMMER-"I'm A Rainbow"(magnificent lost album of 1981)

la musique qu'on aime

Moderators: Thierry, Electrofred, frenchic

alex

DONNA SUMMER-"I'm A Rainbow"(magnificent lost album of 1981)

Post by alex » 07 Sep 2009, 21:18

This extraordinary lost album from 1981 ("I'm A Rainbow" marks the last collaboration to date of the MORODER-SUMMER-BELLOTTI team) has 2 differences with the incredible 2 lost albums from 1981 of the Chic Organization, "I Love My Lady" of JOHNNY MATHIS (February 1981) and "Frostbite" of FONZI THORNTON (May or June 1981): is a double album and for the joy of all fans of DONNA SUMMER was launched in 1996, I hope the 2 lost albums of the Chic Organization will be released as fast as possible, all the fans of the Chic Organization in the world need them. I'd give a suggestion: these 2 lost albums would be released as a double CD to be called: "The two 'Lost Albums' from 1981 of THE CHIC ORGANIZATION: 'I Love My Lady' of JOHNNY MATHIS & 'Frostbite' of FONZI THORNTON".

DONNA SUMMER - "I'm A Rainbow" Album from Wikipedia Site:

"I'm A Rainbow" is a double album recorded by DONNA SUMMER in 1981 that remained unreleased until 1996. After making her name as the biggest selling and most important female artist of the disco era in the 1970s, SUMMER had signed to Geffen Records in 1980 and released the new wave-influenced album "The Wanderer" and "I'm A Rainbow", a dance-oriented double album, was set to be its follow-up (SUMMER had gained much success during the 1970s with double albums). However Geffen were unhappy with the resultant effort and insisted that SUMMER part company with GIORGIO MORODER and PETE BELLOTTE who had produced and co-written, and with whom SUMMER had been working since the early 1970s. She was instead paired up with producer QUINCY JONES and begun work on the 1982 self-titled album.

Over the years, certain songs from "I'm A Rainbow" sneaked out. "Highway Runner" appeared on the soundtrack to "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" the following year, and "Romeo" appeared on the "Flashdance" soundtrack (1983). Remixes of two further tracks appeared ten years later on the 1993 compilation album "The Donna Summer Anthology" - the title track ("I'm A Rainbow" written by SUMMER's husband BRUCE SUDANO), and a version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" from "Evita".

Bootleg copies of the album circulated among fans for years before the full album was finally released by Mercury Records, a division of Polygram, in 1996. The original album artwork, however, couldn't be located although it's been speculated whether the rainbow themed artwork of her 1982 LP may have been it. While dance-oriented music was a theme throughout the album, this was combined with several different musical styles, making it one of SUMMER's more diverse albums. Styles explored included 80's Brit synthpop like THE HUMAN LEAGUE and DURAN DURAN, pop/rock, and ballads. It included a duet with JOE "BEAN" ESPOSITO, writing credits from HAROLD FALTERMEYER, KEITH FORSEY, SYLVESTER LEVAY, SUMMER's husband BRUCE SUDANO as well as the usual SUMMER/MORODER/BELLOTTE team.

Covers:
Several of the shelved songs were licensed to other artists. THE REAL THING covered "I Believe in You" late 1981, ANNI-FRID LYNGSTAD of ABBA recorded "To Turn The Stone" (produced by PHIL COLLINS) for her 1982 solo album "Something's Going On", and the track was also included on JOE "BEAN" ESPOSITO and GIORGIO MORODER's 1983 album "Solitary Men", while AMII STEWART recorded "You to Me" and "Sweet Emotion" for her self-titled album the same year.

DONNA SUMMER - "I'm A Rainbow" Album (original 1981 double album was never officially released. Released on single CD format in 1996)
Produced by GIORGIO MORODER & PETE BELLOTTE
Engineered by BRIAN REEVES
(P)&(C) 1981 Geffen Records (unreleased)
(P)&(C) 1996 Mercury Records (a CD issue of a shelved double LP originally scheduled for release in 1981)
Length: approximately 73 minutes

Tracklisting:

01) I Believe (In You) (4:31)
Vocals by DONNA SUMMER & JOE "BEAN" ESPOSITO
Written by HAROLD FALTERMEYER & KEITH FORSEY

02) True Love Survives (3:37)
Written by PETE BELLOTTE & DONNA SUMMER

03) You To Me (4:39)
Written by PETE BELLOTTE & SYLVESTER LEVAY

04) Sweet Emotion (3:44)

05) Leave Me Alone (4:05)

06) Melanie (3:39)
Written by GIORGIO MORODER & DONNA SUMMER

07) Back Where You Belong (3:52)

08) People Talk (4:15)

09) To Turn The Stone (4:20)
Written by GIORGIO MORODER & PETE BELLOTTE

10) Brooklyn (4:35)
Written by PETE BELLOTTE & SYLVESTER LEVAY & DONNA SUMMER

11) I'm A Rainbow (4:06)
Written by BRUCE SUDANO

12) Walk On (Keep On Movin') (3:50)
Written by GIORGIO MORODER & PETE BELLOTTE

13) Don't Cry For Me Argentina (4:28)
Written by ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER & TIM RICE

14) A Runner With The Pack (4:07)
Written by PETE BELLOTTE

15) Highway Runner (3:28)

16) Romeo (3:18)

17) End Of The Week (3:38)

18) I Need Time (4:23)
Written by GIORGIO MORODER & PETE BELLOTTE & DONNA SUMMER

Link "I_m_A_Rainbow.zip" (103 MB):
http://rapidshare.com/files/164882698/I_m_A_Rainbow.zip

µf
Attachments
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%203.jpeg
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%203.jpeg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%202.jpeg
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%202.jpeg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%201.jpg
I%27m%20A%20Rainbow%201.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

Thierry
Site Admin

Re: DONNA SUMMER-"I'm A Rainbow"(magnificent lost album of 1981)

Post by Thierry » 04 Oct 2009, 19:00

Thanx Alex for all this post about the queen of Disco Era :D
I always loved the "love is in control" album.

Do you know if there's a song from Donna written by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards ?
Have Fun Again, I want you to have fun...

frenchic

Post by frenchic » 04 Oct 2009, 19:18

In an interview Nile Rodgers said there were contact between him and Donna Summer.
The Diana Ross by CHIC gave some ideas to Donna...
We want the best, we won't settle for less
- Good Times -

alex

Post by alex » 05 Oct 2009, 03:37

I agree with you Thierry, I also always liked the "Love Is In Control" album, which was produced by a certain genius named QUINCY JONES. For my knowledge of the CHIC, I say that NILE RODGERS and BERNARD EDWARDS never wrote any song for DONNA SUMMER. But there are videos that I can't find the links at the moment, unfortunately the computer I'm currently using is very old, there are 2 or 3 songs that NILE RODGERS plays guitar live with DONNA SUMMER, I watched these videos about 3 years ago on YouTube, if I have not mistaken I think it was in "2000 Divas", so try watching the videos of DONNA SUMMER live in 2000, our NILE RODGERS will be in the band playing guitar, is a fantastic partnership.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry » 05 Oct 2009, 18:33

Thanx alex , I will try to find this incredible show. "2000 Divas" ? This title sounds very good :mrgreen:
I'm sure that I will enjoy with this fantastic partnership.
Donna summer is one of the talented and sexiest diva I've ever heard.

Try to repair your old computer :lol:
Have Fun Again, I want you to have fun...