FRANCK FERNANDEL - L'amour Interdit (1982) (BERNARD EDWARDS plays bass)

le graal

Moderators: Thierry, Electrofred, frenchic

alex

FRANCK FERNANDEL - L'amour Interdit (1982) (BERNARD EDWARDS plays bass)

Post by alex » 21 Jul 2019, 14:23

I didn't know the participation of our BERNARD EDWARDS in this famous song of 1982, he is playing the bass and apparently he also made the arrangements of this song. The single that this song is extracted sells more than 300.000 copies between 1982 and 1983, another participation of the genius BERNARD EDWARDS, I loved it.

FRANCK FERNANDEL - L'amour Interdit (1982)
Written by JEAN-LUC MOREL
Music by GÉRARD GUSTIN
Produced by LEO CARRIER
Arranged by BERNARD EDWARDS
Recorded at Sound Studio, Los Angeles
Bass by BERNARD EDWARDS

Link:
(Note: in the title of the description of this video it says that the song is of the year of 1989, however it is wrong, this song was recorded in 1982).
https://youtu.be/4ReLgyc8BLk

frenchic

Re: FRANCK FERNANDEL - L'amour Interdit (1982) (BERNARD EDWARDS plays bass)

Post by frenchic » 21 Jul 2019, 17:18

What a big surprise :shock:

This was not a "famous" song in France : I never heard it before this post and I was no more a kid in 1982 !
Franck Fernandel was best known as the son of a very famous french movie actor : Fernandel.
He has never been a star in France : he was a "people".

It's millions miles far from the musical world of Bernard. In 1982 Bernard was rather located in New-York than in Los Angeles. And what the hell he needs to play bass for this unknown no funky french singer...

But Alex you know that everything is possible with our CHIC men :D and even if Wikipedia or Discog credit Bernard Edwards for this song, I really want to see with my eyes the featuring of Bernard on the LP :mrgreen:
We want the best, we won't settle for less
- Good Times -

alex

Post by alex » 21 Jul 2019, 20:08

From what I've heard of this beautiful song I think it's BERNARD EDWARDS, the bass line style in the song is very similar to the NARD style, just as the guitar style of NILE RODGERS is unmistakable, the same is said in the style from the bass of BERNARD EDWARDS.
In 1980 NILE RODGERS participated in the album "Revelation" by REVELATION and in 1981 of the song "Tinsel Town" by LINX, but the CHIC ORGANIZATION was still very strong, however in 1982 already began to give small signs of break, NILE RODGERS already began to participate in more projects outside CHIC ORGANIZATION, the album "One Down" by MATERIAL, the album "Tropical Gangsters" by KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS (I'm still searching in my files for an old message from NILE RODGERS which he confirms this, I want to show for you frenchic), the song "Keep It Confidential" by NONA HENDRYX (in my opinion recorded in 1982 and released in 1983) and of course the albums "Adventures In The Land Of The Good Groove" by NILE RODGERS and "Let's Dance" by DAVID BOWIE that began to be recorded in 1982 and were released in 1983, so it is quite possible that BERNARD EDWARDS would have already been interested in 1982 in parallel projects, which would occur in more numbers in 1983 (NILE RODGERS, DAVID BOWIE, MICHAEL GREGORY, BERNARD EDWARDS, FONZI THORNTON, PAUL SIMON, EDDIE MARTINEZ, this started to be recorded in 1983 and released in 1984).
I would also like to see the credits of this song, but even so I think it's BERNARD EDWARDS.

frenchic

Post by frenchic » 22 Jul 2019, 17:07

I know about all these Nile & Nard featuring and I've been collecting them for a long time.

Bernard is credited (featuring or producer) for Dalbello, James Freud ou Grayson Hugh that are not very known but it's rock/pop/folk/soul music.
Even Nile with for example french star Claude Nougaro gave us some good funk.

But Franck Fernandel has nothing to do with some rock/pop/funk music : compared to him Sheila is a punk :D
I just really wonder how Bernard ended up on this record !surprised!

About Nile's featuring with Kid Creole, it's on Stool Pigeon, I have it for years.
Attachments
StoolPigeon.jpg
StoolPigeon.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
We want the best, we won't settle for less
- Good Times -

alex

Post by alex » 22 Jul 2019, 18:36

If you say this about FRANCK FERNANDEL, I believe in you frenchic, you are french, you live in France and you know about him, but the single that contains this song sold more than 300.000 copies, so it was a success. About this single ("Bilan Positif (40 Ans)" / "L'amour Interdit"), notice that the song "L'amour Interdit" is the B-side of the single, did BERNARD EDWARDS also plays the song on A-side and was not credited, I will listen to the song "Bilan Positif (40 Ans)" and draw my conclusions.
As for the album "Tropical Gangsters" by KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS I have an old message from NILE RODGERS, around the year 2004 or 2005, which confirms that he is playing guitar in the songs "Stool Pigeon" and "I'm A Wonderful Thing, Baby", in my opinion in all versions of these 2 songs (7" version, album version and 12" version), however as NILE RODGERS is a genius, it is very probable that he played guitar in more songs of this project (including the B-sides of the singles) and he did not remember, was what happened to these 2 songs, the whole world only knew that he was playing in 2004, 22 years after the songs were recorded (1982), we have to help this genius to remember all the songs he has participated in his fantastic career. I'm still looking for this message from NILE RODGERS to post on the site.